Friday, July 10, 2009

Will knitting six together solve the problem?

Just thinking about knitting patterns. This week I was reflecting on how the individual knitter creates her own image in her work. Even when I follow a pattern, it is more for a guide. Beyond the choices in yarn and color, I cannot resist changing things to suit what the piece is saying to me. Just as changing the type of chocolate I use in my earthquake cookies makes each batch unique, so does the changes in the patterns.

I am working on a sweater and I have already changed the garter edging on it, and I can see some other areas where there is the possibility for change. Sometimes the changes will make things interesting further along and this is where the knit six together comes in. I wouldn't recommend this solution, but it may work. We sometimes try applying this in other areas of life. Who hasn't in a moment of frustration or brilliance try a new solution. For example, my family never gets lost when traveling, we have adventures. This perspective has save many a vacation from being 'ruined.' And we have seen some vistas we wouldn't have without our adventure.

Isn't this what life is about anyway.

John Francis, thanks for the title.