Friday, May 15, 2009

Remembering

No I am not remembering to update my blog. I have been MIA because life hit me over the head.

I have a friend, Suna, who recognizes people who have influenced her on her blog. I don't want anything official, but I was reminded of my grandfather as I was knitting this morning.

Pa Broom (yes, that really is his last name) was a crusty old man with a soft spot for my sister Robbi and me. He would always have treats hidden away from the neighborhood kids just for us. It didn't matter that we would turn around and share with our friends, we had first dibs on the treats.

He was a stocky man who had worked hard all his life. He spent most of his time out tending the garden in his fedora and khakis. Pa Broom was patient with his 'helpers' in the garden, probably wishing for the day when we count really help.

When I was about 12 or 13, I crocheted my first hat for him. Pa Broom was bald with a white fringe and always wore a cap at night during the winter. He was so thrilled to have it. It was a varigated worsted weight. I think he must have worn that cap for years. This was my first gift project and it couldn't have gone to a more appreciative person. It was his delight in my small handmade gift that encouraged me to continue with my crocheting and knitting.

I went on the crochet shawls to sell to my friends, this was the early 70s and they were in high demand. They would buy the yarn and give me $10 for the shawl. I really liked it more than babysitting and it fed my need for creativity.

I am also reminded of another gift I gave. I crocheted a pair of mesh knee high socks for my best friend Karen, again in bright varigated yarn. She loved them and wore them to school.

I often wonder if I would still be knitting and crocheting if I hadn't had such positive experiences with my gifts.

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

Making other people happy was a real incentive for me, too. I made crocheted purses and believe it or not, bikinis, in middle school. Kids loved them.