Today as I was watching an interview with Elie Wiesel he said something that has really stuck with me. "A good writer is a good reader." I have such a belief in this. I think that this is the reason I love teaching literature. I was thinking of all the books I have loved and the impact they have made on my life.
I want to share some of the books, one book at a time. Since Elie Wiesel is the inspiration I want to start with his book Night.
Every year I teach Night to my students and each year I am amazed by the story of survival. The language of the story and the very spareness of the writing exposes the full horror of the story. While it may be a story of brutality there are moments of illumination. It is a book to have a conversation with, don't expect to learn all in one light reading.
Many scholars in the past have said it is the story of faith lost, but I cannot agree. As Elie questions his faith and God, I am brought to a greater examination of my own. How would I survive in that circumstance. Is my faith strong enough? Am I just observant or do I truly believe?
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment